UF Health Shands Hospital additional second floor renovations underway
A multi-year renovation project at UF Health Shands Hospital will modernize our operating rooms with new state-of-the-art equipment, expand our Pediatric and Adult Preoperative and Post Anesthesia Care Unit, or Preop/PACU, suite space and provide a new Pediatric Hybrid Cardiac Catheterization Lab and Electrophysiology Hybrid Lab. These renovations will both help further update our hospital and improve the patient experience at UF Health. In total, the project will renovate 82,000 square feet.
These new OR and PACU spaces will be the fourth generation of development and improvements. It began with the UF Health Florida Surgical Center, added improvements in both the UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital and the UF Health Heart & Vascular and Neuromedicine hospitals, while incorporating the latest technology. UF Health physicians and staff who will be working in these renovated spaces worked with designers and engineers, utilizing 3D computer modeling to achieve the most efficient placement of fixed equipment and to test multiple room configurations. Our physicians and staff bring tremendous knowledge and experience to the design process resulting in optimum performance spaces when complete.
Renovation Phases for 2019:
- May-November: Renovation of four ORs and the Pediatric Catheterization Lab
- May-August: Two new training rooms will be built to replace existing training rooms and make room for new OR locker rooms and a staff lounge.
- Existing training room 2147 will move to new training room 2160.
- Existing training room 2149 will move to new training room 2055.
- Please note: Current training rooms will be available until new rooms are constructed. Once the new rooms are ready, all scheduled meetings will automatically transfer to the new rooms in Outlook. More information on the move to the new training rooms will be provided in June and July.
- August: Conference room 2154 will be vacated permanently to make space for the OR locker rooms. Meetings scheduled here for August and beyond will be relocated to other existing conference rooms.
- September-March: Construction starts on new OR locker rooms and staff lounge.
Pediatric and Adult Preop/PACU features:
- Pediatric Preop/PACU bed count: 24
- Adult Preop/PACU bed count: 39
- Pediatric procedure room
Operating Room renovation features:
- 20 modernized general ORs
- Pediatric Hybrid Cath Lab
- Pediatric Hybrid EP Lab
The project will roll out in phases to maintain the current number of open ORs and avoid disruptions to surgical services. There should be little to no disruption to patients and families during this renovation process.