Update: UF Health Shands Hospital — Surgical Waiting Area renovations nearing completion
Renovations began March 16
We’re improving our hospital facilities for our patients and our next step is to renovate the Surgical Waiting Area on the first floor of UF Health Shands Hospital (north campus). This is the area between the East Welcome Desk and the Atrium (see the orange area on the map).
Change to service access began Monday, March 16. Renovations will take place through early May. Work will occur evenings/overnight between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Detour signage and new, enhanced wayfinding tools will indicate safe routes to all areas.
Please follow the posted signage for rerouting to the impacted areas during this time:
- East Parking Garage 10 (patient and visitor self-parking)
- UF Health Shands Hospital Admissions
- UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital
- UF Health Shands Hospital Valet
- UF Health Shands Hospital Atrium
Patients, visitors and staff will be redirected as follows depending on their destination:
- If walking from the west entrance (UF College of Dentistry) or from UF Health Shands Hospital Atrium:
- Turn left at the posted signage and continue along the walkway next to the Wall of Hope art installation.
- Turn right and follow the hallway between the cafeteria and Gift Stop to the UF Health Shands Hospital patient elevators. Orange vinyl floor decals will assist with wayfinding.
- If walking from the east entrance (UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital) or front circle valet entrance:
- Walk through the patient elevator area, turn left and follow the posted signage through the hallway between the cafeteria and Gift Stop.
- Turn left at the Gift stop and continue along the walkway next to the Wall of Hope art installation.
This is part of a major multi-year project to provide easy access and navigation between the East and West patient and visitor parking garages; this renovation will continue to modernize our facility so we can better serve patients.
This renovation will complement improvements made in the UF College of Dentistry and the Health Science Center Founders’ Gallery. It follows renovations to patient waiting areas located in the hallway between the Atrium and dental wing.
These updates are a continuation of our shared commitment to providing our patients, visitors and staff with the best experience possible. A state-of-the-art environment of care is one of the ways we are making quality Job 1 at UF Health.
Updates to the surgical waiting area include:
- Improvements to surgical waiting “store front” for better staff and patient engagement
- Sleek, soothing design aesthetic featuring earth-tone colors and textures
- New flooring, paint and lights throughout waiting area
- A new ceiling to brighten the walkway
- A new wayfinding system
- Technological updates like mobile charging stations to provide convenience to our patients
Parking & Access
- The renovations will not impact patient parking at UF Health Shands Hospital.
- Patients and visitors can continue to choose to self-park in the East Parking Garage 10 (on Newell Drive) and walk to their destination through the children’s hospital lobby.
- As always, patients and their visitors must obtain a patient parking voucher after they receive care form their outpatient check-out, nurses’ station or other location of service, then present the voucher to the valet staff or parking attendant upon exit.
- Emergency patients and those transporting them can use free valet parking at all our E.R. and hospital front entrances.
- Non-emergency patients and their visitors can use valet parking for $3 with use of a patient parking voucher.
- All other visitors pay $10 to park in the visitor garage or $13 for valet parking.
Thank you for your patience during this renovation process.